Dietary Fiber – Different Types and Their Advantages | My Plate Manager
Dietary fiber, alternatively also known as bulk or roughage, is one of the most important things linked to good gut health. fibers help in maintaining a healthy weight and lowering the risk of diseases such as diabetes.
It includes those parts of the plant foods which cannot be directly absorbed by your body. It is good for bowel health as it adds weight and hence bowel movements become easier. Dietary fiber is primarily classified into two types, Soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. In this blog by My Plate Manager, let us know and discuss more about these types of fibers.
Soluble Fiber food items and its advantages
Soluble fiber is the type of fiber that can dissolve in water. It then forms a gel-like material. It has advantages such as helping in lowering the blood cholesterol and glucose levels. The major food items which consist of dietary fibers are oats, peas, beans, apples, citrus fruits, carrots and Barley. Here is a comprehensive list of the Soluble fiber food items along with the advantages that one can consider.
- Insulin Oligofructose, extracted from onion and a byproduct of sugar production, may increase good bacteria in the body and enhance the gut and immune functions.
- Beta Glucans, naturally found in oats, peas, barley, oranges, soyabean, etc helps in lowering of LDL cholesterol and also reduces the risk of coronary heart diseases.
- Polydextrose polyols, is an added fiber to processed food as bulking agent. It is made from dextrose, sorbitol and citric acid. It also helps in preventing rising cholesterol and helps with constipation issues.
Insoluble Fiber food Items and Its Disadvantages
This is the second type of fiber that promotes the smooth passage of material along the digestive canals. It increases stool bulk and hence can be beneficial for those suffering from irregular stools. Unlike soluble fibers, the insoluble fibers do not react with water or any other liquid and hence passes mostly intact through your body passages. The major food items which contain insoluble food items are whole-wheat flour, wheat bran, vegetables, etc. Let us now have a look at some of the major Insoluble fibers and the advantages that come with consuming them.
- Lignin, is a natural found insoluble fiber found in flax, eye, and some vegetables. It is good for heart health and provides a boost to immunity.
- Cellulose is another insoluble fiber item that is found in nuts, whole wheat, whole grains, seeds, edible brown rice, etc. It is a natural laxative which reduces constipation risk and even helps with weight loss too.
Customized Diet Plans at My Plate Manager
With this blog by My Plate Manager, we had a peek into the world of fitness and learned about the role and importance of fiber in our daily diet. Fibers are those components which are easy to include in the diet, and play a very key role with digestion issues. At My Plate Manager, we curate diet plans for our clients that are customised because we understand that the functionalities of everybody is different and hence the requirements and diet structure also differs. You can also take your first time into the world of fitness and right eating by contacting My Plate Manager. Start your fitness journey today!